Sunday, November 02, 2008

Have I got a workout for you!

Even my brother agreed --- we have discovered the ideal workout. In fact, he's thinking of a way to market it. But, just for you, my beloved readers, I will let you in on my workout secret for free. I'm sure this will soon be sweeping the nation.

You don't even need equipment or fancy workout shoes. In fact, I did the entire workout completely barefoot, wearing jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt.

Here's all you need: lots of sand dunes and an assortment of babies, toddlers, and small children. A few of the more independent children (but not yet ready to wander the dunes without adult supervision) should get in in their heads to race on ahead, up, down, up down the dunes all the way to the ocean, causing the adults, babies, toddlers, and little children to have to hurry after them to keep up.

It helps if, on the way back, some of you end up straggling way behind the main group. Then, if you can arrange it, make sure that it becomes extremely windy, obliterating the footsteps you are following out, changing the look of the dunes enough to disorient you and make you think you've lost your way, and sending stinging sand flying against your faces and arms. Then the 3 and 4 year olds you're with should complain about exhaustion and discomfort, even while you are trying to make a game out of giving them piggyback rides. While trudging out, each person carrying an upset child, who seems to get increasingly heavier with each step, try not to act as if you think you will soon be wandering in a horrible sandstorm, unable to see, trying to cover everyone's faces with shirts, only to finally be found years later as a pile of bleached, sandblasted bones.

Nothing beats this workout for getting your heart rate going and for making your legs and back feel like putty afterwards. That's assuming you don't end up as a pile of bleached bones.

You should try it some day.

This post, along with my entire blog, is copyrighted. Please read and honor the copyright notice at the bottom of the sidebar. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny. I laughed through the whole thing. I could picture you all trudging through the sand dunes, since I have done it myself minus the blowing sand.

    ReplyDelete