For too many people, Mothers' Day is tinged with sadness and disappointment, even pain. The day can be a cruel reminder that:
1. We cannot bear children and will never experience the joyous privilege of being a mother.
2. Our own mothers are no longer living, and they have left a void that cannot be filled.
3. Our mothers were nothing like a Hallmark card and left us wounded and scarred.
4. Our husbands do not honor us as the mothers of their children. In fact, they barely appreciate us in this role.
5. Our children do not rise up and call us blessed. We may have lost a child to death or rebellion. We may have children who are struggling.
So we sit through the annual pat on the back at church, a sermon that also points out how much we fail to live up to the Proverbs 31 woman we are supposed to be. We feel ashamed of our grief and hide it away.
If this day is like that for you, know that God is faithful. People may and will disappoint, but He longs to comfort you...even as a loving mother comforts her children.
-- Posted from my iPhone