Saturday, May 12, 2007

My accent

Thanks to Corrie at The Pineapple Pundit, I took this quiz:

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The Inland North
The Northeast
Philadelphia
The South
Boston
The West
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

That's very interesting, but not exactly true. The truth of the matter is that I talk...well, kind of funny. Back when I was in college, I dabbled briefly in linguistics. Every time that I hung out in that department, grad students and professors used to amuse themselves by transcribing my speech phonetically and trying to figure out where on earth I was from. They would eventually come up with some sort of odd theory that I had traveled a great deal in my childhood, and had lived parts of my formative years in Canada, Australia, and the east coast of the U.S.

Wrong.

I would then tell them that I had lived in California all my life, and that I was raised by a Texan father who talked like a Yankee and by a mother with a German accent. "No, that's no it," they would insist. "There is something else going on. Are you sure you never lived in Canada?"

No, I just talk funny. And somehow I managed to give birth to a child who sounded, for years, as if he hailed from Boston, even though we've never been there.

1 comment:

  1. That's how I am too - I got Midland, but I call soft drinks "coke" and I say "y'all." ;-)

    I lived in OH till I was 10, did a 2-year stint in CO, and then I spent the next 14 years in the South. Now that I'm back up in Yankee-land, the accent is nearly gone, but the terms are still there. ;-)

    I'm sure if/when we move back to the South my accent will return. I'd LOVE to have linguistics people try to guess where I'm from! :-)

    ReplyDelete