Thursday, September 22, 2005

Hurricane Rita

Like many of you, I am watching the developing events with a mixture of extreme apprehension and disbelief. It just doesn't seem possible. Not again. Not so soon.

My sweet little Grandma, elderly and frail, is being evacuated by my aunt and uncle, along with my cousin and her family. They tried to leave yesterday, but car problems have delayed their departure to the point that they are now stuck in the hundred plus miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic out of Houston.

I am in somewhat of a state of shock over the impending storm. May God have mercy on all these people trying to escape its fury.

UPDATE: For those who want to follow the unfolding story of Hurricane Rita, the Houston Chronicle has set up a blog.

Disclaimer: My blog is titled "Random Musings". I don't pretend to be posting exhaustively or comprehensively about all natural disasters, all crises, all tragedies, or all international events causing mass evacuations. Nor am I always this serious or this storm-oriented. It's just a bit hard to be randomly frivolous these days. In the future, God willing and the creek don't rise or the earthquake don't come, I'll probably go back to posting about coffee, semi-amusing anecdotes, and odd ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment