Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Gender Genie

You may want to check out the Gender Genie, which has the claim to fame of using "a simplified version of an algorithm developed by Moshe Koppel, Bar-Ilan University in Israel, and Shlomo Argamon, Illinois Institute of Technology, to predict the gender of an author."

You can submit samples of your own writing, either fiction, nonfiction, or blog entry, for immediate computer analysis. I did so with over 5 blog samples until I stopped counting, got bored, and quit.

I am a female. Really I am. Despite what The Gender Genie keeps insisting!

Back in the day, when I was an online newbie on AOL, I decided to adopt a completely anonymous identity. I was posting mostly on theological message boards, with a pretty much gender-neutral screenname, and everyone assumed I was male. I'd get these emails saying, "Amen, brother!" or some such male bonding type talk. At the time, I was told that my interest in things theological, and my stomach for strong debate, was untypical among women.

Now I think I tend more towards the touchy-feely. Not really, but some online guy once derisively accused me of going all touchy-feely AND being full of "greasy grace". It doesn't get any worse than that, I suppose.

Unless it's having some computer keep insisting that I write like, of all things, a MAN. Sheesh. I thought I was far more logical than that!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I think I remember that "greasy grace" guy. In any case, I'm sure he didn't know what he was talking about.

    ReplyDelete